Wednesday, February 13, 2008

St Thomas.....It's Almost Over

The last port of call on this cruise was to be St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.

After the bad experience with the Princess organized excursion on Tortola we canceled our preplanned excursion for St Thomas and chose to do our own thing.



We docked near the town of Charlotte Amalie. It was a short taxi ride from the dock to town. We passed a small seaplane terminal and got to see a Twin Otter launching for one of the nearby islands.

More fun flying I'm sure!

We spent a couple of hours in the town generally doing the things that tourists do. Sightseeing, shopping, eating, etc.

We then hopped on a small bus that was headed for a sightseeing tour of the island. First stop was a nice overlook atop the island. From there we had a great view of Meghan's Bay and beyond.


Looking the other direction we had a great view of Charlotte Amalie and the port.
From there we went over to Sapphire Beach. The water was extra clear today.....very nice.







After a short stay at the beach the time had come to return to the ship. We passed back through the town on the way.

I could see why St Thomas is so popular with tourists. It was really nice!


Princess was spared from my criticism today since we did our own touring. But tomorrow would be another day.....strike three was coming!


So back on the ship for the short overnight sail back to the starting point of San Juan.

Tomorrow we would be going home.




For a look at some more of my photos, please aviate over to Plane & Simple

5 comments:

Teller said...

Perhaps if the flying thing gets too tiering, you could just take over the tour planning for Princess...sounds like you might be able to improve things!

Len (Barfbag) said...

Teller,

I like your thinking....I know that as pilots, we both have often thought that we could do a much better job of running our respective airlines! So why not a cruise line too??

Len

ProPilots said...

Len did you hear me this morning? I had the 0800 non stop service to KPWA off runway 17.

Back around 1435.

Have a good one.

Darren

Len (Barfbag) said...

Hi Darren,

I was down at Dallas Presbyterian getting my knee sliced open this morning at about that time. Did you have the burners lit? I'm sure the neighbors heard you!!!

See ya ,
Len

ProPilots said...

Good luck with the recovery Len. Hope its a quick one.

Darren

I keep trying to push those throttles into the burner detent but I don' think its there. I'm calling Gulfstream tomorrow.